in McLean, VA &
Lipsuction with Dr. Sailon
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery technique that allows fat removal in unwanted places on your body. By doing so, Dr. Sailon can slim and reshape the body to provide the appearance of a more defined shape. For good reason, it remains the most common cosmetic surgery procedure in the world. As a board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Sailon puts patient safety first above all else in an effort to help you achieve the results you desire.
Dr. Sailon makes sure to use the most advanced techniques in liposuction without compromising safety. Attention to detail and surgical experience are needed to achieve the contour you desire while making an effort to minimize scarring.
Am I a good candidate
Generally speaking, liposuction is limited by two factors:
- Volume – how much fat can be safely removed in one session
- Skin elasticity – the ability of the skin to “shrink” once fat has been removed
The ideal liposuction candidate is, therefore, at or near their ideal weight with good skin elasticity (tight skin). Although liposuction can create dramatic, yet natural changes to your physique, it is NOT effective as a weight-loss tool. The ideal candidate for liposuction will have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or less.
Liposuction must be a highly-tailored procedure:
Every person has particular concerns and all bodies have unique differences in shape and fat composition. It is critical to Dr. Sailon that you have a shared vision regarding your outcomes in order to achieve a postoperative result that is befitting for you.
What types of liposuction are there?
Recent advances have made the quality and safety of liposuction advantageous to that in the past. A few of these techniques include:
- High-definition liposuction (also known as lipoetching) – a newer technique allows Dr. Sailon to highlight your body’s natural contours. This is most often done to bring out the appearance of your abdominal “six-pack” muscles. Importantly, Dr. Sailon takes great care not to overdo this technique to avoid unnatural looking results.
- Energy-assisted liposuction – liposuction can be combined with energy devices (such as VASER) to tighten the overlying skin. This can enhance your results by preventing skin sagging and “shrink wrapping” the skin to the underlying structures. Tougher tissue, such as that found in the back or chest, often benefits from this technique as well.
- Combining liposuction with surgical excision – combining
a traditional skin excision procedure (such as a tummy tuck) with liposuction is safe in the right hands. Dr. Sailon frequently employs liposuction in most of his tummy tucks to further contour the waist and abdomen. These same principles are often applied to other areas, such as the inner thigh or arm.
- Skin tightening adjuncts (BodyTite) – in appropriate situations, Dr. Sailon may recommend the use of skin tightening devices such as BodyTite to help achieve your desired results. BodyTite works by heating the undersurface of the skin causing it to shrink and contract.
Where on the body can liposuction can be?
Liposuction can be used in many areas of the body safely. The most common areas for liposuction include the abdomen, flanks (“love handles”), hips, upper and lower back, chest, arms, thighs, knees, and neck. Of course, the treatment plan must be individualized during your consultation with Dr. Sailon.
Liposuction is typically performed as an ambulatory procedure, meaning you go home after surgery. A compressive garment is applied in the areas treated. The garment should be worn most of the day for the first month. As with any surgical procedure, swelling and bruising can be expected in the areas treated. This mostly resolves in the first 2-3 weeks and you will begin to see your new shape. You can expect improvement until about 3 months after surgery when your final results are seen.
How much time you will need off is highly dependent on which areas are being treated and how aggressively. Dr. Sailon will take care to review this with you during your consultation. Time off from work can be as little as 2 days to as much as 10 days.
6801 Whittier Avenue, Suite 301
McLean, Virginia 22101
2200 Opitz Boulevard, Suite 250
Woodbridge, VA 22191
5530 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 711
Chevy Chase, MD 20815