WHAT IS THIGH LIFT?
A thigh lift is a procedure that tightens and improves the appearance of the thigh. Several factors can cause one’s upper leg to look saggy, dimpled, or flabby including aging, pregnancy, or weight loss. A lift can help reshape your upper legs by reducing the excess skin and fat creating a sleeker and smoother thigh.
Good Candidates for Thigh Lift
A thigh lift can help you feel great about baring your legs. Being close to your goal weight is one of the most critical factors in ensuring you are a good candidate for surgery. Like any plastic surgery procedure, a thigh lift is not intended to be a weight loss tool. It is equally important that your weight be stable since significant fluctuations can affect the results.
Below you will find additional factors that make a patient a right candidate for the procedure:
- Stable and consistent weight
- Excess skin along the inner and outer thigh areas
- Overall good health with no significant medical conditions
- Realistic expectations for the procedure
- Commitment to a healthy lifestyle, including diet and exercise
THIGH LIFT PROCEDURE
A thigh lift is usually done at an outpatient clinic so you return home the same day. A thigh lift may be combined with other procedures (such as an arm lift) depending on your needs and desires. The procedure is performed under anesthesia in a credentialed operating room with board-certified anesthesiologists.
Once you are comfortably asleep, Dr. Sailon will remove the skin and fat from the inner portion of the thigh. Liposuction may be performed to further contour the remainder of the thigh. Once the skin is removed, the incision will be closed with dissolvable stitches. It is normal to have some swelling and bruising after surgery. Although the final results take months to be visible, a dramatic improvement in the thigh contour can be immediately visible. There are two types of thigh lift that can be used. Either will be adapted depending on your unique anatomy and needs
Inner Thigh Lift: The incision will usually start at the groin and extend downward and wrap around the back of the thigh.
Vertical Thigh Lift: The incision will usually start at the top of the thigh and extend downwards towards the knee following the inner portion of the thigh
Dr. Sailon will always seek to minimize the incision length and reduce the amount of scarring while ensuring adequate skin removal. As much as possible, the scar will be placed strategically to allow for camouflage. Dr. Sailon uses advanced surgical techniques to do everything possible to keep the scarring minimal. Scar care will be discussed after surgery as well.
Types of Thigh Lift
There are two different types of thigh lifts, depending on your needs.
- Vertical thigh lift – a vertically oriented incision is placed along the inner part of your thigh along where the inseam of a pant leg would lie. The length of the scar depends on the patient’s unique anatomy. This lift targets the skin and fat on the upper part of the thigh.
- Inner/medial thigh lift – a smaller incision is made in the inner portion of the groin crease allowing removal of some of the upper inner thigh skin.
CONSULTATION AND PREPARATION
During your consultation with Dr. Sailon, you should be prepared to discuss your expectations for surgery, any medical conditions have, medications you are currently on, and any prior operations. Dr. Sailon will listen attentively and discuss your goals for surgery. After reviewing the various treatment options, together you will determine the best course of treatment for you.
Dr. Sailon will do the following during your consultation in preparation for your procedure:
- Take a history and perform a general physical exam.
- Perform a physical exam of your legs.
- Take photographs of your legs.
- Take detailed measurements of your body.
- Review likely outcomes, treatment options, and any complications that may be unique to you. While each patient is different, Dr. Sailon will prepare a plan specific to you. Below are some of the necessary preparation steps for patients planning to get the procedure.
- Stop smoking.
- Complete any required lab testing or medical evaluations requested.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications or supplements that may increase bleeding.
- Take or adjust certain medications you are already taking.
During your recovery, your incisions will be covered with dressing and bandages. Small tubes may also be placed under the skin to drain any excess fluid or blood. Following Dr. Sailon’s orders after the procedure is essential as it will help with the healing process. Be sure and take all prescribed medications and attend all follow-up appointments. These are important to ensure that you are healing correctly.
Thigh Lift with Dr. Sailon
Dr. Sailon is a plastic surgeon in Northern Virginia that specializes in plastic and reconstructive surgery. His goal is to help you achieve your desired results. He wants patients to walk out looking and feeling natural. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Sailon today!